Tuesday, April 23, 2013

How To Overcome Procrastination

detail from new sketchbook, page one.
via iPod touch

Be Afraid

This past week I have been wrestling with procrastination. Big time. I've known all along what my problem is. Fear. Plain and simple.

I have a number of new projects on the immediate horizon. From a brand new blank archival quality, extra heavy weight paper sketchbook to the launch for my new online course in drawing and watercolor. Although I'm relatively accustomed to doing new things, like everyone else I have fear of the unknown, fear of failure.

The thing is, some of the unknown will not meet my expectations, but other parts of the unknown will exceed any expectations I might possibly dream up. And I will fail at some things. That's pretty much a guarantee. But I won't succeed at anything unless I feel the fear and do it anyway.

Do it anyway. Take action. Action is always the solution to overcoming fear.

The most awesome thing about overcoming fear by taking action is the element of surprise. By which I mean, once you set yourself in motion, you open yourself up to miracles. This makes the unknown suddenly very exciting!

Miracle
1 : an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs
2 : an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or accomplishment
—Merriam Webster Dictionary

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Come to the edge

Come to the edge.
We might fall.
Come to the edge.
It's too high!
COME TO THE EDGE!
And they came
And he pushed
And they flew.
Christopher Logue

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Listen to a wonderful interview with Marianne Williamson on love, fear and miracles.
________________________________________
Join my Tribe for inspiration
  • Drawing Lesson
  • Song Download ("Great Day")
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow
   

No comments: