Tuesday, April 16, 2013

How To Make Space


Landscape 2
Watercolor and pencil
Suzanne McDermott

Clean Up Your Act

Get rid of stuff

I'm sure that you've heard about the 1 year rule. If you haven't used something in one year, sell it, give it away or drop it in the trash. This goes for clothing, shoes, linen, electronics, tools, paper, kitchen items and, as you know, the list goes on. Of course, you'll say to yourself, But I'll use that someday. When? It's a waste to get rid of it. Why? Can't you donate it to someone who will make good use of it?

Clean

There's a reason that old adage, Cleanliness is next to Godliness has stuck around for so long. When light can find its way to clear surfaces, your place will gleam and you will feel more calm and collected.

Reorganize

Create better order. Are you always having to work your way around a chair that's been in your way for a year or more? MOVE IT. You'll create better flow in your space for movement, Qi.

There's a brilliant, very funny little book called Move Your Stuff, Change Your Life. Karen Rauch Carter presents Feng Shui in an entertaining and effective way. If you need ├╝ber inspiration for cleaning up your life, I highly recommend this book.
“Organization isn't about perfection; it's about efficiency, reducing stress and clutter, saving time and money and improving your overall quality of life.”  ― Christina Scalise
Spring Forward

It's the traditional time of year for physical cleaning.

Sweeping away the dark and dirt of winter, we clear the space for fresh air, day light, new beginnings. We make space for new possibilities.

In order to grow, we simply have to have room to do so. To make room, we simply have to let go of things we've been holding on to... for no particularly logical reason.

Personally, I can't stand living in disorder but running a couple of businesses, living a block from the beach with 3 fur producing entities forces me to accept not living in perfect order all the time. However, I take daily action and do my best.

Two things that force me to clean.

1. Having company over
2. Looking around for something to draw

I'll expand on Number 2. I think that the only time I really, truly see something is when I examine it closely enough to make a drawing. When I do spot something to draw, I choose to make space to set the object or scene in a relatively pleasing manner. A pile of clutter is not pleasant to look at and an absolute chore to draw.

Drawing heightens our attention, observation and awareness. For me, personally, it helps me clean up, too!

When new students start working with me, they usually have to clear a space in their homes to work. That's part of the beginner's exercise. Making space to create.

Now is your last chance to add your name to the waiting list for my next Online Course in Drawing and Watercolor that starts in June. Click here to learn more and add your name. You'll receive a special advance offer.

________________________________________
Join my Tribe for inspiration
  • Drawing Lesson
  • Song Download ("Great Day")
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow
   

No comments: