Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Considering Maturity

This evening

This time last year, I was learning to walk again. My online course in drawing and watercolor was still in the planning stage.

Now, I'm walking just fine (finally!), and I have witnessed remarkable transformations in the students who have enrolled in my online courses over the past 11 months.

The fireflies rise up from the lawn in the fading golden light of the day. After years of landscaping, planting and pulling, digging and trimming, the yard and the gardens are majestic compared to what I started with. The Rose of Sharons and the day lilies popped into bloom today. The oakleaf hydrangeas are in full flower. Everything feels fully mature.

Looking for a good quote on maturity, I found one. But dare I quote Ann Landers twice in one month? Oh, why not? It's really good.

"Maturity: Be able to stick with a job until it is finished. Be able to bear an injustice without having to get even. Be able to carry money without spending it. Do your duty without being supervised." —Ann Landers

Surprisingly, I did not find any other quotes that really describe maturity, only ones that refer to it.

Like so many things, maturity is a process. A ripening. But there are certain experiences in life (well, let's hope so) that hold up a mirror to yourself and you think, "Oh, I'm different now. I've matured."

I'm not talking about looking in a mirror and thinking, "My god, how I've aged!" I mean more along the lines of what the Dalai Lama describes in the following quote. I have this quote taped to the wall in the center of my house. When I remember to stop and read it, I think, "Oh, yeah. That's right."
“Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
Although that pretty much says it all, I will add...

One way to develop yourself:





More posts on My Back Yard.
____________________________________________
Join my Tribe and receive a gift pack of inspiration
  • Drawing Lesson
  • Song Download (my well-loved Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow

Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course

No comments: