Friday, April 23, 2010

The Sheltering Sky



Once upon a time, I had King Crimson all to myself. It was an afternoon in the early 80's on the ABC set of Fridays where the band was rehearsing for their TV performance. I was the only person in the audience stand.

After their performance, Fripp showed me his plastic Beatles rings, Tony Levin gave me one of his picks, Bruford hankered for pizza and I remember nothing about Belew.

If you're up for more, watch that televised performance.

What I do remember about Adrian Belew is the beautiful pink suit he wore all through that time period. I drove past him once on Sunset at the beginning of the strip. All I noticed was the suit. After, I realized it was Belew. What a great signature!

The Sheltering Sky is named for the Paul Bowles novel and appears on the King Crimson Discipline album. I came across this video by chance the other night, posted it on my facebook page and have been listening to it ever since. Discipline might be one of my desert island discs.

I'm definitely not a rocker but I was crazy over this iteration of King Crimson. My only favorite rock band. They were brilliant. I was so fortunate to see them in live performance on a number of occasions. I even went to a drum clinic that Bruford gave at Cal State Northridge which was spent mostly on managing different decay factors in synth and acoustic drums.

I have to thank my ex-husband for that command rehearsal performance. He was painting scenery on the set, got wind that the band was on their way and called to invite me. It was all good timing.

Enjoy!
____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle
| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

No comments: