Monday, September 14, 2009

Creativity and Play



I am a zealot about helping adults lose their fear of drawing and about encouraging children to draw and to never lose their confidence in same.

I'm working on a BIG PROJECT around drawing. As I've pitched the project daily, over the past nine months, I've found myself referring to the first 3 1/2 minutes of this Ted Talk by Tim Brown of IDEO. So, I thought I'd post that talk here.

Tim Brown is referring to a particular species of designers in this talk. But I believe that most creative enterprises, at their best, employ the elements of good design. That goes for poems, songs, buildings, projects, plays, companies, communities, any sort of system and so forth, ad nauseum.

What's the drawing connection? Drawing by hand gets the physical body connected to and involved in the flow of the present moment. That is where creativity lives. It's not something we're normally used to and our critical thinking just loves to interrupt that process. Drawing creates space. The more you practice drawing, the more space and time you have away from the critical mind. Ah... What a relief!

To quote Jean Cocteau, "What is line? It is life."

Enjoy this talk and then go draw something. Just for fun.

No comments: