Saturday, February 23, 2008

Looking East



Zhang Daqian (1899-1983)
Splashed-color Landscape, 1965


No history of landscape painting is complete without an article on Chinese Landscape Painting, which is an art unto itself and has a history and language of its own.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has created an excellent page on its Timeline of Art History on Landscape Painting in Chinese Art. There you will find an in depth, well referenced article describing work from the 7th - 20th century. The illustration for this post by Zhang Daqian (1899-1983), Splashed-color Landscape (1965) is borrowed from that site.

When Beth Meckes was a sophmore at Penn State Lehigh Valley, she posted her honors term paper on Chinese Landscape Paintings of the Southern School on the web for all of us to enjoy.

If you are interested in reading a beautiful book about the Chinese approach to landscape painting, I highly recommend The Tao of Chinese Landscape Painting, Principals & Methods by Wucius Wong. New York: Design Press. 1991. An excerpt from that book can be found online.

I recently discovered Shih-T'ao and encourage landscape (and other) painters to read his Enlightening Remarks on Painting. The Berger Foundation has made available online part of Richard E. Strassman's monograph on that work.

Books on Chinese Landscape Painting include Michael Sullivan's Symbols of Eternity: The Art of Landscape Painting in China, Chinese Landscape Painting by Sherman Lee, and The Art of Chinese Landscape Painting: In the Caves of Tun-Huang by Anil de Silva and Dominique Darbois.

Interested in trying your hand at this art? See Audrey Quigley's Chinese Landscape Painting for Beginners: A Practical Course

Considering that all of the books I've cited in this post are out of print, I would say that it's about time for a new book on the subject to be written and published!

Read my other posts on the history of Landscape Painting.

See my paintings at Landscape into Art.

My songs and CDs
____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?
Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle

| More

Join my Tribe and receive a 
  • Free Drawing Lesson
  • Free Song Download (my well-loved Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow


Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.

Visit me at suzannemcdermott.com

No comments: