Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Dutch Golden Age



Rembrandt van Rijn, 1606 – 1669
A Bend in the Amstel at Kostverloren, c.1650
The Duke of Devonshire and the Trustees of the
Chatsworth Settlement, Chatsworth


The University of Glasgow has an extensive page on Dutch Landscape painting in the 16th and 17th centuries. Included are Joachim Patinir and Pieter Bruegels the elder to whom I referred in Groundbreakers, and Gillis van Coninxloo (1544-1607), Abraham Bloemaert (1566-1651), Esaias van de Velde (1587-1630), Jan van Goyen (1596-1656) and Jacob van Ruisdael (1628-1682).

You can view a collection of Rembrandt (1606-1669) landscape paintings and landscape drawings at a site dedicated to cataloging his entire works.

There are several excellent books on Dutch landscape drawings during this period. Curis O. Baer's Landscape Drawings(one of my most well-worn books) is a weighty tome that includes many fine examples of Dutch work, and his Seventeenth Century Dutch Landscape Drawingsis completely dedicated to them. Unfortunately, both of these books are out of print though you can find used copies. Dover Publications has a very affordable book of Rembrandt Landscape Drawings.

Wikipedia's page on The Golden Age of Dutch Painting sets the landscapes into context and the page on the Dutch Golden Age paints the bigger picture.

Read my other posts on the history of Landscape Painting.

See my paintings at Landscape into Art.

My songs and CDs
____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?
Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle

| More

Join my Tribe and receive a 
  • Free Drawing Lesson
  • Free Song Download (my well-loved Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow


Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.

Visit me at suzannemcdermott.com

No comments: