Friday, January 16, 2009

Bill Gable



I can count on both hands the number of videos I ever saw on VH1 or MTV but this was one of them. I loved the song, the camera work, the sand, the wind and the smoocherama.

Around the same time, I was temping at an easy jazz station in Sarasota, Florida and grabbed a few freebie cassettes and CDs on the conference table. Bill Gable's There Were Signs was one of the cassettes. I listened to it over and over again in the VW bus I drove from Florida to Mendocino early that summer.

A few years ago, I bought a CD of the album and, to this day, can still listen over and over again without getting tired of it. It's a great piece of work and I'm glad that Bill did whatever it took to make it so. His songs are mysterious and danceable with pop hooks and jazz inflections over infectious polyrhythms.   His stellar backing musicians are world-class.  This Perfect Day, his second album, is also marvelous.   

You can find the albums through his website, download This Perfect Day at iTunes and find used copies of both on ebay and Amazon. Check them out, they're really good.

I hope that Bill's well these days, wherever he is and whatever he's doing.

See my paintings at Landscape into Art.

My songs and CDs

No comments: