Friday, December 12, 2008

Happy Birthday Helen Frankenthaler!



The last time I went poking around for an interview with Helen Frankenthaler, I could find nothing. Thanks to John Feldman at Hummingbird Films, we now have this marvelous video. And just in time for Helen's 80th birthday. It's today!

Frankenthaler's long time friend, Ann Freedman, is hosting a retrospective Frankenthaler at Eighty: Six Decades at her New York gallery Knoedler & Company. You can read an Arts Journal review about the show.

Of course, I've mentioned Frankenthaler here on My Great Day and quote her in the opening of my painting blog Landscape into Art.

If you've been following this blog, you'll know that I claim many influences from many disciplines. But now that I am painting full time, there's no getting around my affinity for Frankenthaler's images and aesthetics, her work, and the trails she's blazed artistically and through her living and words.

It means a great deal to me that Helen Frankenthaler has lived and worked as she has. So Happy Birthday, Helen Frankenthaler. Many thanks with good wishes for many more years in radiant health.

Listen to Susan Stamberg's 1988 NPR Profile on Helen Frankenthaler.


____________________________________________

Enjoy this post? Subscribe now!

Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle
| More

Join my Tribe and receive a FREE package of inspiration
  • Free Drawing Lesson eBook
  • Free Song Download (my well-loved Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow


Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Suzanne, I have always been a great fan of Frankenthaler. As one of the great American Expressionistic Abstract painters her influence has been huge in my work. We have a lot to thank this group of pioneers for in breaking through realism and the idea of realism. This paved the way for not only new thought about art, but also about the variety of ways art can be used to help others.

Thank you for this wonderful tribute!

am said...

Thanks so much for posting this video on Helen Frankenthaler. Some years ago I was fortunate to be able to see an exhibit of her colorful and moving work in Vancouver, B.C.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Yes, there's nothing like the real thing. Earlier this year here in Nashville there was a touring exhibit on Color Field painters and there were 4 or 5 Frankenthalers including "Flood". It was really great to see her paintings again up close and personal after not seeing any in a long time. It was also great to have her represented with more works than any of the other painters in the exhibit.

I've just added a link to this post with a Susan Stamberg profile on Frankenthaler.