Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Paddington Bear



Today is the 50th anniversary of the first publication of A Bear Called Paddington on October 13, 1958.

I discovered Paddington Bear in my early 20's and remember with delight the joy of reading all the Michael Bond books I could lay my hands on. Aside from reading children's books to children, there is a particularly wonderful pleasure of discovering exceptional children's books as an adult. I'll have to find that first Paddington book to re-read soon.

The illustrations for the Paddington books are well-protected (a good thing for illustrators!) but I found this cover of a 1964 reprint of the 1958 book with a drawing by the original illustrator, Peggy Fortnum. I suppose this is a sort of companion piece to my Happy Birthday Beatrix Potter post but two posts do not a category make! Hmmmm.... a theme for this week?

If you have not yet met Paddington Bear, start with the first volume A Bear Called Paddington. If you have children, be sure to introduce them, too.

See my paintings at Landscape into Art.

My songs and CDs

No comments: