Monday, July 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Beatrix Potter



I just noticed that it's Beatrix Potter's birthday. I did not read her books when I was young, although I certainly knew of them and recognized most of the main characters, but discovered her importance later, in a more round about way.

I bought a graphic novel called The Tale of One Bad Rat by Bryan Talbot (which I highly recommend) in which Beatrix Potter and her work are uniquely featured. A bit later, in Charleston, I found a slim bio on her by Dorothy Aldis in some library book sale pile, Nothing is Impossible, which I also highly recommend. Later, on a visit to Nashville, I spotted a copy of The Journal of Beatrix Potter from 1881 to 1897. I figured that it was put in front of me for a reason, so I bought that, too. Never did I think that I would have an entire section of a book shelf devoted to Beatrix Potter, but I'm glad these books found their way into my hands.

If you have never read her books or really studied her illustrations (a must for watercolor painters)



you can buy the original and authorized edition of the 23 original Peter Rabbit books and 4 unpublished works in one volume, Beatrix Potter: The Complete Tales.

In fact, now that I've pulled these books out for reference, I plan to settle down with The Complete Tales after I finish up my work for the day. I'm really looking forward to it!

I'll leave you with one of her landscape illustrations and point you toward a great Beatrix Potter online resource — PeterRabbit.com

Go visit, it's fun!



Visit Landscape into Art.


____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?
Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle

| More

Join my Tribe and receive a 
  • Free Drawing Lesson
  • Free Song Download (my well-loved Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow

Email  

Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.

Visit me at suzannemcdermott.com

No comments: