Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bird Haven



Really, I thought I was all through with the Robin posts! But just when I thought it was safe to go out on the front porch again, the hardest working mother in the neighborhood (above) lays four more eggs ...



... at the beginning of the hottest June in memory. So hot, she keeps her beak open all afternoon.



I haven't seen the father Robin in the past few days but he's probably busy with survivors of the first two clutches. There have been so many Robins this year that I've finally been able to appreciate that they're members of the Thrush family. We've had some very good singers around the house.

Meanwhile, just next to the studio, I've been listening cheeping from to a Cardinal nest for quite some time. This afternoon, I spotted a young male ...



... and his mom flitting about the walnut tree branches at the front of the studio.



How interesting this is to anyone but myself, I have no idea. But it does my heart good to know that these birds feel safe and secure enough here to nest comfortably and hang out for so long.

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Great pictures. Aren't birds resiliant? Look at the nest just glued to the wall. Great stuff, nature!