Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Where my day went....



Or, The Perils Of Working At Home!

Ah, the ever-wondrous magic of my back yard...

This morning, the wild and friendly fellow you see above wandered in. I'm familiar with most of the dogs in the neighborhood so I knew he was a stranger. If you've been following this blog, you can probably guess that I got involved. First it was some biscuits. Then a bowl of water. After a call to my vet to see if any lost dogs had been reported (there are thousands), I brought him over to be scanned for a microchip. None. On the way to the vet, I stopped at every neighbor I spotted to see if anyone recognized him. No one did. But one neighbor with a large, fenced in yard and two dogs of her own told me to come back if I needed any help.

This young dog, part Labrador Retriever, part Pit Bull is huge and massively strong. I could barely manage him and he dragged me along on the clothes line I bought to temporarily tie him up while I visited the dentist. He has no training whatsoever, the energy and awkwardness of a puppy and no idea of how big and strong he is . Very sweet tempered and agreeable but lots of leaping around and lunging. Did I mention the excessive drooling? In the car, I held a towel under his chin.

I did need help and the neighbor who offered decided to bring him into her own yard with her dogs and train him. I happened to have a coupon for a free neutering, rabies vaccination and tags and handed that over with the dog (who her husband's friend called "Brutus".) A very happy ending for all in rather short order.

Here are Brutus's two new playmates, Zoë and Mädchen:



and here's Brutus in his new kingdom:

No comments: