Monday, April 28, 2008

Heads up!



NEWS FLASH! Monday afternoon, the nest is empty. The chick I thought was Alpha must have been Omega!

Above is a snapshot taken Sunday afternoon of my Robin neighbors. Not only can I not walk out my front door without being dive bombed by Daddy Robin, I get an earful and admonishing swoop if I open the curtains! The baby robins are growing by leaps and bounds and the parents are working incessantly to feed them.

Here's a snap of the nest two days before, on Friday:



Big difference. There always seems to be an alpha chick who stands above the crowd and is first out of the nest.

To update you on the baby opossum... although he did survive his first 24 hour period and then another 24 (while I was busy teaching a workshop), he was going downhill so first thing on the morning of the second day, I took him to Walden's Puddle Wildlife Rehabilitation Center.

If you have a wildlife rehabilitation center or wildlife rehabilitator near you, please consider supporting them in some way. These organizations and individuals are primarily volunteers who invest tremendous amounts of time, energy and personal funds to do the right thing for our fellow creatures. Support your local wildlife rehabilitators.

First of all, do no harm. What to do if you find an injured wild animal. Unless obviously injured, wild babies are often best left alone.

See more paintings from my back yard at Landscape into Art this week and a sketch of one of the educators at Walden's Puddle at my drawing blog.

My songs and CDs

2 comments:

Mineke Reinders said...

Ooh, cute baby robins! Sorry about the possum baby, hope they can nurse it back to health at the wildlife rehab center.

Suzanne said...

Hi Mineke,

I'm hoping the baby opossum does well. The wildlife rehab is too overwhelmed and understaffed for me to follow his progression. He's better there than with me. Now that the Robin's nest is empty, there's room for the second clutch of eggs.