Friday, March 7, 2008

Våren



I saw my first robin yesterday! Always a day to celebrate. Even though we have icy rain today and snow coming in tonight, you know what is on the way.

No video this Friday. Instead, I am leaving you for the weekend with a song by Edvard Grieg (1843-1907). Våren is the second of Twelve Songs to Poems by Aasmund Olavson Vinje, Op. 33 (Orchestrated by Ragnar Søderlind). Performed by the baritone, Per Vollestad with the Lithuanian National Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Terje Mikkelsen.
Våren
translates as Last Spring, and though I've misplaced the insert with lyrics and translation, the poet looks out on Spring for the last time. A. O. Vinje (1818-1870) was from the Telemark region and wrote his poems in the Landsmaal language, a written form based on Norwegian dialects. In the spring of 1880, Grieg found a small volume of poetry by Vinje and composed the twelve songs over a few days time.

This is one of my favorites. Enjoy.

Våren

Per Vollestad's magnificent recording of Grieg Orchestral songs is an out of print import I happened to find for $1 at a yard sale in Florida some years back but you can download the song and the album through itunes.

Lithuanian National Symphony Orchestra, Per Vollestad & Terje Mikkelsen - Edvard Grieg: Orchestral Songs

2 comments:

LeenaM said...

You can of course guess, how familiar Grieg`s music is to me. Thank you this, I really enjoy it.

Have a good weekend, Suzanne!

Suzanne said...

Good, Leena! Enjoy your weekend, too.