Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The View Expands



Naked Young Woman in Front of the Mirror, 1515
Giovanni Bellini
Kunsthistorisches Museum
, Vienna


More Lanndscape Painting History for you this week as I work on my Squidoo lens. I hope that you find this interesting — I do, and that's a good thing!

Look at the charming and beautiful flora and fauna in the landscape of Pisanello's The Vision of Saint Eustace (c. 1435) and then see what happens after the van Eyck brothers produce their Adoration of the Mystic Lamb.

In the Netherlands and Germany, the painted landscape expands in depth and detail providing vast settings for religious figures such as The Miraculous Draft of Fishes (1444) by Konrad Witz, Crucifixion (1491) by Hans Memling (although a far better of Memling's landscape is his Seven Joys of Mary (1480), it's only available as an online link in a small, black and white version), John the Baptist in the Wilderness (c. 1484) by Geertgen tot Sint Jans, which you can compare to the oh, so unique Hieronymus Bosch version of the same subject, John the Baptist in the Wilderness, (c. 1505).

In Italy, too, the painted landscape becomes more realistic and moves deep into the distance for staging not only religious and mythological figures like Antonio del Pollaiullo's Hercules and the Hydra (1475), Raphael's Saint George and the Dragon (c. 1504-1506), and Giovanni Bellini's Saint Francis in the Wilderness (c. 1485), but also for portraits as in Piero della Francesca's Battista Sforza and Federico da Montefeltro (1465-66) and Leonardo's Portrait of Lisa Gherardini, wife of Francesco del Giocondo (the Mona Lisa!) 1503-1506.

Read my other posts on the history of Landscape Painting.

See my paintings at Landscape into Art.

My songs and CDs
____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?
Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle

| More

Join my Tribe and receive a 
  • Free Drawing Lesson
  • Free Song Download (my well-loved Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow


Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.

Visit me at suzannemcdermott.com

No comments: