Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Significance of Watercolor



Francis Towne
The Source of the Arveyron, 1781
Watercolor, pen and brown ink
Victoria and Albert Museum, London


As I was wondering how to frame and compile the many artists, extensive work and changing approaches to landscape painting in the 18th century, I found two of the most thoroughly researched, beautifully written and illustrated pages at Handprint, one of my most favorite sites on the web.

Bruce MacEvoy continues to create a beautiful and thorough site that is the end all and be all for everyone who works with watercolor. In addition to the best resource on watercolor materials and books, Bruce has written articles on an extensive list of watercolor artists.

I am turning the microphone over to Mr. MacEvoy because he covers just about everything that is important in landscape development during the 18th century, with internal, illustrated links to the artists, including Claude Lorrain, Canaletto, Gainsborough, Francis Towne, Constable, Turner, and Cotman, in Poetic Landscapes and its companion Topographical Landscapes.

I was especially delighted to read his in-depth description of Alexander Cozens who's revolutionary approach to landscape painting was tremendously influential.

Many thanks to Bruce MacEvoy for these excellent articles.

Read my other posts on the history of Landscape Painting.

See my paintings at Landscape into Art.

My songs and CDs

____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?
Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle

| More

Join my Tribe and receive a 
  • Free Drawing Lesson
  • Free Song Download (my well-loved Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow


Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.

Visit me at suzannemcdermott.com

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Hi Suzanne,

could not agree more, love Bruce!