Friday, February 15, 2008

Manufactured Landscapes



I can think that I am paying attention to what I'm listening to when suddenly, something that is said will stand out in high relief and I'll recall most of whatever else I heard as "blah, blah, blah." What struck me most about what Edward Burtynsky says on this clip is that when he started taking photos of mines and such twenty-five years ago, he did not fully understand why he was taking the photos, he just felt compelled to make them.

That's how I feel about the landscapes I'm painting now. When I started painting them a year and a half ago, I did not understand what I was doing but I was compelled to paint them. I have a slightly better understanding now of what I'm doing and where I may be headed but I can tell that the seeds of what I started with will take a while to fully flower.

Go ahead and click on the Edward Burtynsky link in the above paragraph.  There are more video and audio clips there including a segment from his Ted talk.

No comments: