Thursday, February 7, 2008

Bunches o' Brushes



A few people have asked about what sort of brushes I use. I hesitated to reply because I wasn't quite sure where to begin. So, out in the bright light where you can see them all, here are what I grab at in the midst of painting. I can use anything from a 0 to a 36 round depending on size. I keep the brushes sorted by rounds, flats, large brushes for large jobs, and short handles with travel brushes. I also keep containers with pencils, exacto knives, willow sticks, a pair of magnifying glasses, scissors, emery boards and nail files. My kneaded eraser and pencil sharpener sit by the window latches, out of paw's way.

I am not wild about very expensive brushes. I am a stickler for a good point, a decent well and proper construction.

When I first assembled these for their formal photo session, I thought, geez that's a lot of brushes. But now that I look at them, I actually use most of these every day. Not the filberts and not the mops and the large ones only for the large pieces. The big squirrels are new and I LOVE them for large work.

Squirrels?

2 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

you should paint this.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Actually either of them they are both wonderful still lifes.