Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wolf Moon



I did not take the above photo and it is not a picture of the full moon but it reminded me of my full moon post and isn't it great? Can't you just feel yourself flying over the surface?

This photo was shot by the Messenger spacecraft as it flew past Mercury last week. Read more about it at APOD (which is where I snagged this picture).

For those of you who have been following this blog for the last couple of months, you'll remember that I wowed myself by taking some rather awesome (if I say so myself) photos of the full moon from my back yard in November and December. In December, I thought that I'd make a project out of it to see how my view of the moon might change from the stationery spot in my back yard.

My friend Carol Ezell-Gilson, a wonderful artist in Charleston, South Carolina, wrote this to me in late December:
I was watching a fascinating show on the history channel, or maybe the discovery channel, the other night on the moon. It said that we always see the same face of the moon at every full moon. The orbit of the moon has, over time, synchronized its rotation with the earth's rotation, so that we always will see the same face of the moon from our particular vantage point on earth. I thought that was pretty amazing. The moon is increasing its orbit around the earth by about two inches a year, and eventually will increase to a point where it will hurl out into space, no longer kept in tow by the gravitational pull of the earth.

Now I'll have to come up with another way to mark the full moons. Hmmm....

1 comment:

laura said...

Thanks, Suzanne. I didn't know about this site--have added to my favorites for a daily shot of wonderment!