Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Silence



Chance played a distinct role in the inception of the green variations I posted at Landscape into Art over the past nine days. That got me thinking of John Cage. What a gift to grow up exposed to his guileless approach and whimsical wisdom.

Once upon a time, in the early 80's, I went to a Lou Harrison gamelan concert at CalArts — part of some "new music" festival.

I was out in the lobby, gabbing with Tom Schnabel and George Winston. The lights went down and I scooted into the darkened hall. All the seating was on the floor or the room was so crowded that the only seats left were on the floor.

After the music started and my eyes adjusted, I looked to my left and found John Cage, sitting inches from me. Then I looked to my right and there sat Richard Carpenter (who's cool factor soared in my snobbish young mind). That's some name dropping, I know but, ah.... those were the days! And what a privilege it was to be there then.

Enjoy this musing by Cage to help start the new year afresh. May your days be filled with delight and good health.

Online Course in Drawing + Watercolor Fall 2012

My watercolors, songs and more.
____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?
Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle

| More

Join my Tribe and receive a 
  • Free Drawing Lesson
  • Free Song Download (my well-loved Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow


Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.

Visit me at suzannemcdermott.com

2 comments:

Werner said...

Hello Suzanne,
I finally found a few minutes to watch this video - thanks a lot, I like it a lot.
It's one of those wonderful statements that help you to better understand what you're doing, and why you're doing it, even though it doesn't speak at all about your own work in particular of course...
Best regards
Werner

Suzanne said...

Excellent! I'm glad you could take the time to watch.