Friday, January 11, 2008

Days of Heaven



Here's what I'm going to do. On Fridays, I'll post bits of films of some sort for the weekend. No sense in making myself a crazy person trying to post to multiple blogs every single day of every single week.

Back in November on Landscape into Art, I wrote a post about film influences on my painting. If I were to cite one film as the major influence on my visual thinking, it would be Terence Malick's Days of Heaven with Nestor Almendros and Haskell Wexler behind the camera, Billy Weber in the editing room and Ennio Morricone for the film score.

The first clip with stills doesn't really do justice to the visuals but has a snippet of the main Morricone theme. The clip below gives a better idea but is a 1978 trailer with a 1978 pitch.



If you haven't already, watch this film. It's one of the best ever made. In fact, I might just buy a copy for myself (There's a recent Criterion Collection DVD release that has proper color restoration and some extras.) It's worth watching in any format but the big screen is where it belongs. I've had the fortune to see it on the big screen several times, the last of which was at the 2004 Virginia Film Festival with Billy Weber on hand for commentary and interview.

1 comment:

LeenaM said...

Good Saturday morning,Suzanne!
I have not seen the film, but if I can have a chance to see it, I will do!
Rewarding weekend to you, Suzanne!
I liked very much your yesterday's paintings.