Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The White Fertilizing Ray



I digressed for a day from my little series on the creative impulse and process but I can't let it go without, once again, referring to Vassily Kandinsky. I went on about him in my Blue Rider (not) post back in mid-November where I included a link to his essay "On the Question of Form".

I am not sure that we can actually describe in words the experience of the creative process. Eckhart Tolle laughs with the audience in one of his talks about man's attempt to describe spiritual experience and the meaning of the universe with five vowels and some consonants. But he strings his talks along with what he calls "signposts" or "pointers" of his own and of other great spiritual teachers — stories and descriptions that point in a direction of a glimpse or understanding of experience. So I have attempted to point to my understanding of the creative experience as it manifests in brush stroke or line through the words or pictures of artists I have admired and who have influenced me.



Kandinsky
Der Blaue Reiter, 1903
Private collection, Zurich, Switzerland


To wrap up for now the First Stroke, Cocteau's notion of line, and Frankenthaler's Really Good Picture, I'll pull out a few of Kandinsky's statements from On the Question (Problem) of Form which appears in both the Blaue Reiter Almanac and Concerning the Spiritual in Art.

At a certain time what is inevitable ripens, ... the creative spirit ... makes contact with the soul, later with other souls, and awakens a yearning, an inner urge. ...

Consciously or unconsciously man tries ... to find a material form for the spiritual form.

This is the search by the spiritual value for materialization.

This is the positive, the creative. This is goodness. The white, fertilizing ray.

This white ray leads to evolution, to elevation. Behind matter, within matter, the creative spirit is hidden.
—On the Question of Form by Kandinsky


Visit Landscape into Art and Studies and Sketches to see what's new from my studio.

See my paintings at Landscape into Art.

My songs and CDs

1 comment:

LeenaM said...

How I would like to discus about all those thoughts with you, if I could have better English.
I don`t remember, if I have told earlier to you about our school systems, i tell it anyway now.
When I was 11 years, I started to learn Swedish, it is the second official language of Finland, 13 years old i started German, 15 years Leena started English and Latin!
And the result is, that I can not speak fluently any of those languages. When I was in the University, we had all exam books English, Swedish or German and because I am the biologist, I needed of course also Latin.
I can understand those professional terms, but other things - no.
My children can speak English and
one of them also fluently French, they are warmly smiling to me, when they see my mistakes of English, but they understand their old funny mother :)
When I started to learn Italy about 15 years ago, my daughter said to me, that I should study English, not to start a new language. She was right, of course, now I am angry to myself, because I did not obey my wise child :))

I wish you all the best,Suzanne!