Monday, December 3, 2007

Laying out my palette




























I have way too many paints. Truly an embarrassment of riches. On the upside, I have learned a lot about the variable qualities of different brands of paint and mixing skills of particular colors. On the downside, it's confusing to have too many paints when I start to build a new palette. I'm like a kid in a candy store and I want to use them all! But that usually results in an upset stomach. And too many paints can confuse a painting.





















I also fall in love with the colors on the palette. They look so beautiful! But that's sort of putting the cart before the horse. Although it's fun to enjoy the aesthetic experience of the entire process. And frankly, I am sometimes as inspired by a new color, type of paint or pigment as I am by a subject or conceptual idea.





















As long as I'm at it, I'm laying out my favorite metallic watercolors as well so that I can keep them at hand, ready to go.

I did not always have so many paints. In fact, I worked with the bare bones for most of my life. I remember stopping in at painters' studios and ogling their collection of paints. Well, now I have my own collection! I feel much better educated and prepared but I know that many supplies does not a great work of art make.

No comments: