Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Fugue


J.S. Bach, Contrapunctus 1 from The Art of the Fugue
performed by Glenn Gould

From late afternoon through the evening, while chained to my laptop doing dastardly administrative deeds, I listened to Glenn Gould playing Bach Preludes and Fugues which made the nasty tasks much easier. Listening to almost any sort of imitative form has a soothing effect on my mind but most especially a fugue.

Enjoy this very early and beautiful film of Glenn Gould playing Contrapunctus 1 from the Art of the FugueIt's rare and wonderful.

In my late teens and early 20's, I listened to Gould's 1959 recording of The Goldberg Variations about 9 trillion times. When I first heard his 1981 version of the same, I was stunned with my first revelation about our changes of approach from youth to maturity. I was not alone.


No comments: