Sunday, December 9, 2007

Cutting Back





















I promised myself that on the first warm weekend day I would cut back the garden. Today was the day. 74 degrees on the 9th of December! I suppose that we're all getting used to this unusual weather that's become all too usual.

The Elaeagnus (Elaeagnus angustifolia L) is in bloom and deliciously fragrant. Tallulah thinks so, too.





















I pulled up what was left of the tomatoes, basil, peppers and marigolds and cut back the pungent salvia, sweet anise hyssop, gaura and St. John's Wort while trying not to notice the tragic remnants of the dozen lavender plants only one of which survived the wicked heat and drought last summer. Rain threatened but never came. Still, the few drops I felt spurred me on to make quick work of it. Most of the garden into the compost.

1 comment:

griesmail said...

a lot of work Suzanne, I don't have a garden at the moment, miss it