Thursday, November 1, 2007

All Souls Day




























Edwin J. McDermott, c. late 1940's - early 1950's


Another photo by my father. They used to say (though I was never quite sure who they were) that his eyes were as blue as The Lakes of Killarney. So that's what I titled the song I wrote for him. I've never recorded that song. Here are the lyrics:

The Lakes of Killarney

In salty air,
on sandy feet,
you pointed out across the waves.
"Somewhere out there Ireland lies
and one day I shall take you there.

"It is the place where we come from,
out of the marshy timeless mist,
with poems and magic we are kissed.
Our souls forever breathe her airs.

"Our thirst is legend,
for we are Irish.
In dreams we drink the rainbow dry."

And now I dream in gold,
and now I dream in green.

If your soul is in repose,
then all Killarney’s lakes must seem
as blue as your eyes,
as blue as heaven.


©1995 Suzanne McDermott/Drexel Road Music (ASCAP) All Rights Reserved

No comments: